The main objective of the TCAiNMaND proposal is to build a coordinated Sino-Latin American-European team of researchers able to exploit and develop open source codes and numerical methods for designing effective tools to mitigate the main Natural Disasters in the three regions, throughout a collaborative interchange of software resources, scientific knowledge and, naturally, scientific experts in different fields.
Specific goals have been identified to fulfill this mission:
- Identification of common major problems in natural disasters in civil engineering Select first-class simulation tools and numerical algorithms to address such problems
- The customization and adaptation or development of these tools to the specific needs of each region
- To build a collaborative network of relevant agent to use, exploit and develop these tools to build a new generation of researchers and experts in this field
At the scientific and technical level, these goals can be implemented through the following research lines, which are linked to already existing projects, for a better guide for the researchers to participate in the interchange.
- Real time computations
- Better resilient design of structures
- New engineering materials designed to build more resistant structures and buildings Numerical methods applied to analyse earthquake’s effects on structures
- Fast diagnosis of potential disasters through updated image processing techniques Optimization methods for better decision support systems